Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Gregory Krajewski
Date/Time: Fri, July 7, 2000 at 11:25 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: I wrote IANA for information concerning .web

I just want to jump in here quick into this discussion....As far as research goes one must always go to the source...You could have emailed ICANN....I chose to write IANA (afterall they apprv'd the pre-registrations and legitimately passed on the functions over to ICANN)which still had a functioning website and is still linked out from the ICANN website...Here is the email I Sent and IANA's response....

(MY EMAIL TO IANA):

Greg,

No decisions have been made about new TLD's.  We don't see this happening for quite some time if it does happen.  It is your personal decision whether or not to "pre-register" names.  Keep in mind that it is possible that .web may never come about.

Thank you,

IANA
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2000 7:47 PM
To: iana@iana.org
Subject: .web TLD names

Hello,

I came across this website http://www.webtld.com    They essentially are pre-registering .web domain names.   Is this site likely to be accredited and would someone who registers a .web domain name likely keep their name if this organization (Image Online Design, Inc) is given the go ahead.....I realize that no decision on adding new TLD have been made, however in the event they do would this company be chosen to be a registrar for the .web name???  Thanks for any help you can give me"

MY CONCLUSIONS:  I took IANA's response to my email as neither a "yes" or a "no" as far as IOD's being accredited and/or keeping my registration if the TLD was uploaded....They HOWEVER did not tell me they never heard of IOD nor the .web pre-registrations (that IANA apprv'd of in 1996)....Yes they said it was my personal decision, however I took the comment from them as "since we're not sure new TLD's will even come out, then it's up to you whether or not you want to register a .web name"....GOOD ANSWER...is what I was thinking....The next thing I did was to go on the WORKING Groups (B & C) discussion group boards on the DNSO website (http://www.dnso.org (not dot com) and became engrossed in this debate...A gentlemen by the name of Simon who always left a link to documents, gave me some insights to this 5 year battle...I at that point made my "personal decision" to register a .web name.....in a sense I have made my "vote" for .web very clear....I would like to see www.killer.web become a reality...Business is not for second guessers or people who are unsure of their position...I researched this unique situation and established my position....This is not meant to degrade anyone as I think the comments made from the individual who decided to wait, made the right choice...FOR HIM......as far as a domain costing $35.00 at IOD...if us pioneers who made the sacrifice and risks did not put out $35.00 then I would think (in my opinion) we would not be on the verge of possibly having a .web name out there....As IOD has explained in my documents that you can find on (www.google.com--type in any keyword you wish) they have invested in a world class system (severs) (to be ready for the "day") and to go to IANA and then ICANN meetings to make our voices heard...That costs money...In the old days when NSI preregisterd names...it was only them...and them alone....so they did not have to travel anywhere to lobby their claim to dot com..as IOD has had to.....I hope my comments enlighted those...who may be for IOD/.web and even those who are against...My official position on wanting new TLD's is it all about the Law of Supply and Demand....When these to entities are unequal...then you will ultimately have a destabilizing effect...I realize that some people feel the supply is plentiful...you will just have to settle for a 20-30 character domain for your new ecommerce venture...That kind of name will put you out of business as marketing for your domain would costs you millions in educating the massess....Just one last thought...why not have (2) separate approving bodies regarding the overwatch of the DNS...One for Ecommerce and one for personal/arts/etc....Just a thought...ICANN could have experts in the field that understand ecommerce who would make decisions on new TLD's/TM issues and experts that are familiar with personal and art type websites (type of TLD's .art.. .museum  .per) ....Just a thought...Good Luck

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy