Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: fnord
Date/Time: Sun, July 9, 2000 at 2:44 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: miscommunication

410 writes:

>You hate it when people obscure the intended vision of the various specialized TLDs,<

I don't hate anything about this, and don't understand what you are saying above anyway.

>but see no sense in opening broad, general-use TLDs.

What do you mean by general-use? Like .com is now? I'm not opposed to that, I think it will largely fail, but I think it should be tried.

>In short, you have a choice: accept one approach, accept the other approach, or denounce new TLDs altogether<

Where is that written down? I can choose whatever choice I want, post about it, and live with the consequences.

>but a drastic price to ask fledgling businesses to pay for the Ideal of Tidiness.<

What drastic price? Instead of a fledgling business having to settle for either a poor .com name or running the risk of missing out on the name in new TLDs, or losing it to the .com holder, or having to buy a taken name at an inflated price, they (assuming they are a computer store named Fnord), register fnord.computers. This also saves them from a UDRP decision in favor of Ford Motor Company.

If I want to find out about penguins on Usenet I go to deja.com and type in 'penguins'. Up comes a series of posts, some from sci.taxidermist, med.veterinarian, comp.linux, alt.pets, etc. Depending on my interest in penguins I can quickly go to the relevant group.

If I want car information and I type ford in a search engine and up comes ford.auto and ford.modelagent and ford.taxidermy and fnord.computers, there is no confusion. Do you know if Ford Motor Company is even at ford.com without looking? How about ford.net?

d_d@email.com - email without ICANN in Subject: line is blocked

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy