Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: 410
Date/Time: Sun, July 9, 2000 at 3:49 AM GMT (Sat, July 8, 2000 at 10:49 PM EST)
Browser: AOL Browser V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: So three TLDs walk into a bar. And the bartenders says to the first one. . .

<<  Which is what com/net/org have largely become. They are interchangeable. Along with numerous ccTLDs. >

They are NOT meaningless, even if the intention for each is not being met. Quite simply, .com means "commerce," .net means "Company Network" and .org means "Organization."

Your .mcx or whatever TRULY does mean nothing.

<  A city is first built perhaps near a river, later it shifts somewhat because of a new railroad, later still because of a superhighway. The commercial, residential and other areas move about in relation to changes, often technological ones that couldn't be pre-planned for.  >>>

Yes, yes, but there is not always a river at hand. And even still, there central locale designated more for business, and well. . .people don't live there as much. . . and, well. . . Oh, hell! This has nothing to do with the topic, anyway.

Next we'll be talking existentialism. (Fine by me, actually.)

I SAID: 

Of course they are. .banc is for established financial institutions, and .unions is for. . . well, UNIONS. That is specialization.

TO WHICH YOU REPLIED:

And what is inherently wrong with that? I have never seen any good arguments given against it, either for technical or other reasons.

Um, there is nothing wrong with strong specialization in a TLD charter, so long as the TLD is restricted. Then the registrants would have to be members of a respective institution, and the approval process is different than it is for unrestricted TLDs.

Strong specialization in unrestricted TLDs only invites obscuration.

(Damn, that IS a word. Obscuration.com. Hmmmm. . .  It's available! See! We DON'T need new TLDs!)

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy