Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: 410
Date/Time: Sun, July 9, 2000 at 3:10 AM GMT (Sat, July 8, 2000 at 10:10 PM EST)
Browser: AOL Browser V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: I am running out of titles for these posts. . . Heehee

<<< I'm not opposed to broad TLDs. If there is no differentiation needed, why not name the new domains .xcs or .410?   >>>

This is not a case of non-differentiation. This is a case of meaninglessness. "Business" (.biz), "Commerce" (.com) and "shop" (.shop) have similar meanings, and therefore would have similar charters as TLDs.

The close relationship of these concepts is hardly comparable to the instance of .xcs and .410 that have no meaning whatsoever.

< If I were to register business.biz then business.com is going to take it away anyway. >

This goes against the intention of opening new TLDs in the first place, and you would be protected by the domain's generic status. (I would feel better about this if WIPO got the $%#@ together in many instances.)

However, have you seen a lawsuit between Business.net and Business.com? It wouldn't stick.

<< As a matter of fact, it normally is. You have commercial zones, residential zones, light industrial zones, etc. >>

People can legally live in commercial zones, and commercial sites can be established in residential areas.

Furthermore, we divide our living and working space according to convenience and the need for congregation in our workforce. Cities originally formed in a way that kept the political system, the economic system, and the religious system localized in a central area. Various businesses huddled together because they were inter-dependent. The outer regions were more suburban.

The Internet is different. It is non-localized. So the city zones you speak of are non-existent in the Online World.

<< I don't think a .banc or .union is too highly specialized. I was also not asking that they be policed for compliance. >>

Of course they are. .banc are for established financial institutions, and .unions are for. . . well, UNIONS. That is specialization.

But I think these would probably be restricted like .gov and .edu are.

The tricky one will be .art.

<<< The total control you ascribe to me is what the Intellectual Property Constituency wants, which I certainly don't favor. >>>

The IPC wants to be the next heinous bureaucracy to control and screw up people's lives, simply because its members are control freaks. That kind of desire for control doesn't deserve consideration. It deserves being designated as a criminal, behavioral and psychological pathology.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy