Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: fnord
Date/Time: Sun, July 9, 2000 at 3:47 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: fame

Garry Anderson writes:

>Why should Julia Roberts (the actress) have sole God-like right to juliaroberts.COM? What about all the other Julia Roberts throughout the world?<

She shouldn't. That's what I was addressing.

>She could protect her name with juliaroberts.film.us.REG or similar.<

Agreed, though we are talking an actress, not a film. Likewise what if her films are made in Europe or she moves to Asia or starts a singing career? It is her name that is supposedly famous. Hence a .fame domain. And when that gets crowded, an .actress domain. Unfortunately these intellectual property folks (which sometimes seems an oxymoron) need to be brought on board to the .reg idea or it won't work. In return for these domains they have to stop going after those in open or non-competing restricted domains short of clear breaches of existing or future TM, fraud, passing off, etc. laws. They will be less likely to agree to do so (after all, they are winning under the current setup) if they have to trade:
juliaroberts.com
for
juliaroberts.film.us.REG

Whereas
juliaroberts.fame
or
juliaroberts.actress
are both preferable to either of the above IMHO.

>This is the reason I have not bought garryanderson.com, I know that I do not have a God-like right to it.<

Just as well, I'd file a dispute against you because it is confusingly similar (according to present UDRP) to mine. Kidding. :)

d_d@email.com - email without ICANN in Subject: line is blocked

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy