ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

RE: [soac-mapo] Terminology DRSP (and more on Rec 2.1)

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>, soac-mapo <soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [soac-mapo] Terminology DRSP (and more on Rec 2.1)
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 11:45:55 -0400

Hi, Chuck
I think it's bad for the integrity and clarity of ICANN's processes to blur the
line between implementation and policy.

If we are setting policy, GAC has a right to have its recommendations followed
or else get an explanation from the Board.

If we are applying the policy to a specific application, the GAC has no such
right.

Remember the first principle of the new gTLD policy: applicants need to have a
pretty firm idea what they need to do to comply with a policy.
If a TLD is not illegal according to a general policy, it should NOT be
possible for the GAC to lobby the Board, post-hoc, and say, "well, we don't
like THIS application now that we see it. That is the exact opposite of having
a clear policy - it turns the whole thing into a political lobbying and
guessing game. It opens the door for discrimination, personal vendettas,
anti-competitive moves, and many other kinds of abuse.

So please let's not open the door.