ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

[gnso-idng] Re: same string registered at 2nd level across different IDN gTLDs [RE: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs]

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-idng] Re: same string registered at 2nd level across different IDN gTLDs [RE: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs]
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 18:30:50 -0500

Avri Doria wrote:
hi,

Thanks.

Chuck is this the same for you?

Eric, I did not think this was what you said.

Correct. In my example the registrant in tld-in-ldh may register the same string, or a translation, in tld-in-idn, where the pre-validation policy prevents confusion.

In general, I try for less restrictions, as registration policy may be substituted without loss of generality for the shared purpose a common equity ownership provides.

If you can find a better test than the non-confusion of the users of the resolvable resources, in the presence of plural, not singular resources, we should use it. If not, it seems to be the best standard available, and significantly better than "somebody in MdR is confused", which is the current standard.

Eric