ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] [OFF TOPIC] - but not really

  • To: <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] [OFF TOPIC] - but not really
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 19:23:12 +0200

A couple of comments from the co-chair.
First, I support Mikey's action. We also had a quick chat over the phone.
Second, there was no action, at least that I am aware of, to shut Milton up.
Actually, I think that Milton's contributions are essential to the
completeness of the points of view expressed by the WG.
Third, what has been criticized is not at all the substance, but the form.
Personally, I believe that opinions can be expressed without taking the risk
of offending others. As a co-chair, I ask that care is given to moderate the
language accordingly. I understand that sometimes people might feel
compelled to add to an otherwise moderate comment a bit of "spice", to
create the "Oooohhh" effect, but often this is not helpful for the
achievement of a compromise, that requires first and upmost the mutual
respect of the different stakeholders.
In summary, this is not a court where we have to decide whether some
language is permitted or not. It is a group of people that are working
together and the language used has to be the one that favours building the
consensus, not the characterization of the opponents. I wish we will, in
particular towards the end of a long (perceived long, although actually
relatively short) and intense work, be able to put all odds on our side to
negotiate a compromise solution. The use of potentially inflammatory words,
or, to make an example related to other contributors, the use of convoluted
sentences that will take 15 minutes to a non-native english speaker to
parse, do not help.
Last but not least, while I sympathize with Jeff's opinion that to continue
discussing about this might distract the group from specific VI matters, I
felt that as co-chair I needed to speak up.
Cheers,
Roberto

  _____