Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: jmgraham
Date/Time: Sat, June 17, 2000 at 8:11 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: .WEB and IOD

In my own humble opinion...

As I said before, Image Online Design has a local database of ".web" domain names. They have been charging $35 per name to register ".web" domains in their database for many months now even though the domain names aren't functional over the internet. I took a sample of 1000 popular ".com" domain names that I looked up as ".web" names. I found that every one of them was registered to the same handful of individuals. (I encourage others to repeat this test with their own data)

With that in mind, why would anyone think the IOD has some kind of claim to the ".web" TLD? The world owns the internet, not IOD, IANA, or the US government. This small private company is going to have a great deal of trouble convincing the governments of the world to let their database of popular names be registered first. What would IOD  say to China, the United Kindom, or Germany to convince them to let a handfull of investors grab up all the popular domain names? When was the world notified that domain registrations for ".web" domains were approved and happening?

Yes, domain names are like real estate. The only problem is that the ".web" real estate belongs to the world right now and the world has no contract with some small private company. Just like real estate there are only a few really great homes to go around.

I wouldn't have any objection to IOD becoming a bulk register service. This is the only fair solution. As long as other companies can stockpile domain requests and bulk register at the same time as IOD I would feel fine about the whole thing. Hopefully IOD will give people their money back if the deal falls through.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy