Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Bartender
Date/Time: Sun, June 18, 2000 at 4:43 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows NT
Score: 5
Subject: reply to R8R

R8R, your intentions may in fact be genuine, but your points are clouded with inaccuracies and a glaring lack of understanding of what is and what would be. The REALITY, in fact, is that at this point an ENORMOUS amount of absolutely incredible .webs are available for anyone to register. I'd be willing to bet you that I could present a list of 20,000 words that all rank in the top 10% of search engine terms and are still available for registration in the .web TLD. Let me know if you're game. Secondly, and this is VERY important so please read it twice: If they "wipe the database" and start over, I can ASSURE you that within minutes of the new database being opened all the top 100k terms (or more) would be taken by professionals ....those who have the know-how and skills to quikly move in and grab these names....and any scheme that ICANN dreams up to prevent such a thing from happening would most certainly prove ludicrously inept. At that point the situation would be MUCH WORSE....all the best .webs would belong to MUCH FEWER people and without a doubt PROFESSIONALS. As it stands, (IOD registered) .web's belong to people from 75 different countries, have been slowly registered over that past 5 years by people with intentions of development, and are contained in the registry of a company (IOD / WebTLD) which was given explicit instructions by the fathers of ICANN (IANA) to GO AHEAD AND START TAKING PAID REGISTRATIONS FOR .WEB. Read that again, if you would. When ICANN was formed to take over the duties from IANA, one of it's key mission statements was that it NOT DRASTICALLY CHANGE anything previously set in motion by IANA. There are many "sour grapers" out there, but the truth of the matter is that they are only saying what they are saying becuase they too want a shot at business.web ....but they are sadly mistaken if they think they would ever have a shot at it given a wash of the present database. THEY WON'T. But, they CAN go register some .web's while ten's of thousands of excellent ones are still available, are being registered in a civilized and controlled manner, AND by a pioneer registry that was set up in accordance with IANA approval in 1996. We all make our choices and we must live with them ....funny how sometimes people don't realize the choice they are pushing for will in fact end up turning on them, when the most opportune situation is right in front of them for the taking. Hoist by one's own petard, I believe they say. You can ride the wave, or let it come crashing down on you...Your choice. Now, where's that surfboard of mine...

Regards,
-Bartender

P.S. Hey WorldThoughts, I loved your post. VERY well written. It should be read by many. Keep up the good work!

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy