Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: fnord
Date/Time: Sat, June 17, 2000 at 10:06 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: clarification

WT writes:

>That's correct. I would be out of line to yell and scream if things were to sour for IOD. I knew the risks, as you say. However, if IOD is approved, its registrants just can't be cut loose, in all fairness, and by backing of law, I would imagine.<

When I made the statement that IOD's .web should be included, I meant their existing registrants as well. And I should have said that my 'no interest' disclaimer applies to IOD as well.

>...and those registrants were rightfully grandfathered in. It seems a fair and decent policy, and not one that should be abandoned in the case of IOD, or some other registry down the line.<

Whoa there. In the case of IOD I agree, but not one down the line. Well, unless it is clear from the get-go that it is entirely speculative, even then I think it's probably a bad idea, otherwise we'll have speculators squatting on and/or pre-selling every conceivable .whatever. You missed your dotcom name, no problem, get yer own TLD right here. Ick! Pre-registration, while perhaps one partial solution to having new registrars' servers turned into smoking holes on opening day, shouldn't be acceptable in future. .web is a special case as I said. Let's not go there again.

Regarding the trademark question, Image Online Design is listed with the US PTO only as having a service mark on a .web design, not as a trademarked .web TLD.

d_d@email.com - email without ICANN in Subject: line is blocked

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy