Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: WorldThoughts
Date/Time: Sat, June 17, 2000 at 8:38 PM GMT
Browser: AOL Browser V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: A Reply to JM.

<<< (Image Online Design has) been charging $35 per name to register ".web" domains in their database for many months now even though the domain names aren't functional over the internet. >>>

Many years now, actually. And of course they aren't functional over the Internet yet. They were granted approval by IANA to accept registrations for the day they WOULD go live on the Internet.

<< ... why would anyone think the IOD has some kind of claim to the ".web" TLD? >>>

1. Their Trademark.
2. The approval from IANA to commence registrations.

<<< The world owns the internet, not IOD, IANA, or the US government. >>>

This is an abstraction. Based upon your own arguments, hand over all your .coms that you own.

But I won't be selfish. Don't give them to me. Slice those words and distribute it to each person on the planet. Divide each of your domains into about 7 billion (equal!) parts. Since we own the Internet, we want YOUR domains.

<<< This small private company is going to have a great deal of trouble convincing the governments of the world to let their database of popular names be registered first. >>>

Have you been paying attention?

<< When was the world notified that domain registrations for ".web" domains were approved and happening? >>

Happening? 1996.
Approved? Well, that is still pending.

Didn't you get the memo?

No, neither did I. But I did my homework. Sorry that you didn't do yours. Do I have my grade reverted to a failing score because you weren't prepared?

No one told anyone in 1980 that Microsoft would become so popular by 2000. Since I wasn't notified, I want everyone to hand over their stock portfolio to me.

JM, it's okay. Post your street address, and I will have the moving vans over to your house this afternoon. Since, afterall, Land belongs to the world and no individual, I am bringing everyone over to your front lawn and patio.

Everyone.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy