Return to self-nomination Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: cory
Date/Time: Thu, June 1, 2000 at 4:29 AM GMT (Thu, June 1, 2000 at 12:29 AM EDT)
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.7 using XWindows/OpenBSD 2.6
Score: 5
Subject: 2 country rule

>I don't see why on the net it is important to have a look on
>countries at all. Yes they exist, but in the net it is only important
>if it comes to a legal problem. I'm from Europe, what is the
>difference wether I'm living in Finland, in Germany or in Spain?

You mustn't live next to a 900 pound canary. :-)

In Europe, insportie o fthe ICANN@Large membership of that region being dominated by Germans, there is, IMNSHO, a good chance that the nominees will be from all over Europe. Thus there is less immediate  need for the 2 country rule, but it will still help ensure that the ones ending up on the ballot aren't all Germans with no support beyond Germany.

In the North American region there are only 2 countries - Canada and the USA. Without this rule it would be possible for all ballotted memebers from it to be only American without any Canadian support whatsoever. (or vice versa, as extremely unlikely as that may be.)

The other 3 regions (Africa, Asia/Pacific, latin America/Carribean), however, are bit trickier in this. In the Asia/Pacific region it is still possible for all ballotted memebers to befrom only Asia and Japan, and in Latin America/Carribean from only Mexico and Brasil. (I don't know much about the state of the 'net in Africa - all I can think of is South Africa.) For these 3 regions I think the minimum country rule should be upped to 3 or 4 countries.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy