Return to self-nomination Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: clive
Date/Time: Fri, June 2, 2000 at 8:33 PM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.5 using Windows 95
Score: 5
Subject: 2-country rule

80\icann0001
1 June 2000

I can also see some point to the 2-country rule. Surely, it encourages diversity and does so in response to the fact that Internet usage is not evenly distributed around the world. If one adopted an unregulated system, then the outcome of the election would be likely to replicate this current absence of diversity. In a sense that is fair, but in another sense there are dangers of oppression of unrepresented "minorities" and there is a discouragement to the world wide growth of the Internet. After all, the need to protect diversity is not new or radical - just look at the constitution of the US Senate.

But I am not convinced that ICANN is right to concentrate on the nomination rules to achieve diversity and a cross-border outlook. I am sure I can find one friend in the US or Australia or wherever. But that hardly ensures I share US understandings or concerns. Rather, there should be attention to the voting rules. For example, diversity would be far better ensured if each ICANN member had two votes, one of which must be cast for a person from another jurisdiction. Another idea is that candidates could be paired - each from different jurisdictions.

So if you don't believe in diversity, then you won't agree with any of this. But if you do, then ICANN is probably barking up the wrong tree by looking at the nomination rather than the voting process.

Clive

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy