Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: jandl
Date/Time: Sun, October 29, 2000 at 8:15 PM GMT (Sun, October 29, 2000 at 4:15 PM EDT)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: re: I did not know that

it does ????

Yes.

>where how?

The ORSC rootzone has been available to anyone for years.  see: http://dns.vrx.net/tech/rootzone/db.root.  This is the  complete rootzone file with the servers to which anyone can point to see the TLDs in that zone and lists all the TLDs in the zone.  .BIZ was first created in 1995 and has been in the ORSC root since 96. Most of the TLDs in the root have been there as long is .BIZ.

>I cannot get any webpage resolved to .biz.

I don't know how many websites are up in .BIZ.  I do know there are domains registered.  You won't see them if your dns settings are pointed to the ICANN rootzone because ICANN will not recognize it even though the other roots recognize ICANN's rootzone.  If you have a .biz domain, your website would be visible to those who point to the correct rootzone servers.  There are also websites in .here, .ocean, .tibet and on and on.

>(i tried some popular names. Now i am not very familiar with this

And that is the point.  If you are unaware, you need to do a bit of homework.  The ICANN root system is not the only one.  There are probably a hundred or more TLDs available in the name space.  These TLD managers respect other existing TLDs, as should ICANN, and not produce collisions due to a lack of respect.  Any other rootzone could create .com .net and .org in that rootzone, but it is not done.  Why then, would ICANN create duplicates in their rootzone and not recognize the ones that already exist as they do the ccTLDs?  The ORSC rootzone has been established and stable for years.  A system of multiple cooperating root systems would enhance, not detract from the name space.  The public is simply unaware.  That is changing...

> but if this is a case where a group of people have made some separated network where biz resolves (and which most people dont use)

Only because they are not aware.

>just so they can reserve their own names beforehand,

We are not talking about reserved names in the ORSC TLDs.  If anything, it is the ICANN proposed TLDs which threaten to reserve names for the IP interests, to the detriment of the public.

> dont think icann should respect that.

ICANN should respect other root systems as they respect the ICANN root.

As I said, there is more than just the ICANN root and has been for a very long time.  Names are registered on a first come, first served basis and there are gTLDs and restricted TLDs. 

>The new tlds were made so they free up names, and having a tld come in with a bunch of preselected names would totally defeat the purpose.

Exactly!

>And people should be able to get the new names on some kind of basis that is fair for every one (either first come or bid i guess). And when i say first come, i mean first come after the creation of a TLD name is announced by icann, so everyone has a fair opportunity, to reserve their names.

If you think the ICANN process is fair... oh well.  Yes, new TLDs are supposed to free up the name space.  However, if a sunrise period is adopted (which the public does not want), it will totally defeat the purpose of bringing in the TLDs.  The IP interests and big business will then register the very names which would become available to the public before anyone else has a chance.

>Does abacus reserve any names, before the public may have a chance to register them? I have the impression that they dont but if they do please correct me.

In a sense,yes, by using a "famous marks" list.  There is no such list in the world because no one has been able to come up with a standard which would work.  Additionally, using such a list would preclude millions of domain names from becoming available to the public - many of them generic.  This is simply because every TM holder believes his mark deserves that distinction.  It is just not workable and this was recognized by the working groups. 

The "sunrise" provision was even worse.  The potential for 20 million names being taken prior to the public having the opportunity to register a name is very real.  There are over a million marks in the U.S. alone.

Please see my earlier post on (Sun, October 15, 2000 at 8:41 PM EDT)http://www.icann.org/cgi-bin/mbx/rpgmessage.cgi?tldapps;39EA4EB9000002C9

If you read the application you will see the reason for my post.

And one last thing.  Remember that domain names are simply a means to remember an address and are used for things other than websites.  It is the commercial and IP sectors which have created the mess we see now.  To have that flow into the new TLDs and do the same thing is just as ridiculous.  ICANN's power behind the scenes does not want new TLDs for the public.  It is perceived as a threat to the TM lobby.  They will do all they can to own and control the name space and the internet.  Abacus is right up there with the rest of them, IMO.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy