Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: YankeeFan
Date/Time: Fri, November 3, 2000 at 3:31 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: .cool will just be a fad

Thanks for the congratulations nickl.  Yankees #1!  Here in NY we are still celebrating!

On a more serious note, you give some interesting opinions and figures about teenagers using the internet in the future.  But just think on a more global scale.  I'm not so sure some 16-year-old in some small country in the middle of nowhere would really want a .cool.  NOT everyone knows what "cool" means.  It IS an American slang word.  It's not generic.  It would be America-centric for there to be a .cool. 

Do you honestly think that in addition to .com, .net, and .org (3 very generic endings that have global meaning), there should be a .cool? 

I don't even think teenagers in this country would want .cool.  It would be a fad.  Let's say you, Nick, have a .cool.  I presume you're in your teens.  A few years from now, when you're looking for a job, are you going to say, hello Intel, my email address is nick@nick.cool.  I don't think so. 

We are talking about the future of the internet here.  Yes, teenagers will be a huge part of the internet.  But .cool just doesn't sound like something a teenager would want to have once he/she reaches his/her 20s.  It would be temporary.  It would not be as lasting as a .com, .net, or .org.  To this end, a TLd should be generic and apply to anyone.  In fact, I don't think anyone past their teens would even want a .cool name unless it's for a site aimed at teens. 

I'm sorry but I simply don't think .cool makes sense. 

And by the way, I think it DOES matter who Pedro works for.  Because having support from people who work at the same company applying for the domains is meaningless. 

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy