ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtpd]

Re: [gnso-irtpd] here's the little summary of that sequence of events i rattled off on the call just now -- registrant role in TDRP

  • To: "Dorrain, Kristine" <kdorrain@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-irtpd@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-irtpd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-irtpd] here's the little summary of that sequence of events i rattled off on the call just now -- registrant role in TDRP
  • From: Volker Greimann <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2013 16:46:21 +0100

As an aside n this, ICANN already weeds out frivolous complaints. Whois complaints have tremendously improved over the past 2 years due to ICANN staff at least lookijng at them before forwarding.

And we also see a few transfer complaints coming trough ICANN. These are usually easily resolved as it was about a reseller that went under oder incommunicado and the registrant needed their auth-codes.

So what I am getting at is that there already is such a function in place within ICANN compliance that deals with registrant complaints over registrars.

Volker

I'm not disagreeing.  I'm thinking about this from a capacity concern.

In order to find the registrant disputes that qualify as a registrar violation,
ICANN will have to sift through a lot of claims.  Some meritorious, some
marginally so, many a complete waste of time.  This is particularly true
because ICANN compliance doesn't charge to investigate claims, so there is no
harm to a registrant for whining to ICANN about frivolous matters.

While, from an academic standpoint, ICANN compliance maybe "should" weed out
registrant concerns with their registrars, one by one, if they do not have the capacity,
tossing this to compliance will have the same effect as doing nothing.

Perhaps the conversation is heading towards how to recommend ICANN deal with
this or we recommend a staff person be hired, whatever. I just think that
whatever we propose, we need to be mindful of the practicalities of it as well.

Kristine