Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: ccaruso
Date/Time: Tue, October 17, 2000 at 1:52 AM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.75 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Support for dot union

My name is Chris Caruso, and I am the director of Human Rights Tech, a non-profit organization located in Philadelphia, PA, USA.  We leverage information technology to assist and encourage grassroots anti-poverty initiatives.  One of the ways we do this is by training grassroots organizations to use the Internet to build capacity, create networks of support and broadcast the voices of poor people.  We've worked with organizations across the United States that represent thousands of low-wage workers, from workfare workers in Pennsylvania to farmworkers in Florida, and from labor pool workers in New Jersey to Deaf workers in Ohio.

I feel strongly that the Internet can become a powerful force for empowerment, education and community building.  However, we can only realize this vision by closing the digital divide and creating non-commercial spaces on the Internet. 

Approving the dot union proposal will be an important and strategic step towards creating that space.  That space must be expanded if we are to realize the democratizing potential of the Internet.  Right now, the Internet is one of the only ways that low-income and other working people can have their voices heard and build support for their struggles. 

I urge the ICANN Board to approve this proposal.

Thank you,

Chris Caruso
Human Rights Tech

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy