Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: asubrigid
Date/Time: Tue, October 17, 2000 at 4:36 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows NT
Score: 5
Subject: Support for dot.union

I wish to lend my support to the movement seeking the registration of the dot.union domain.  As the Communications Dev Officer at a union in Australia, I have been involved in working towards our web identity.  The ability to register our domain with dot.union would assist, as Internet users become aware of the new domain, our members and other interested parties in making a good stab at our URL (as many web users do from time to time).  Also, it would ensure that our unique identity as a non-commercial, non-government, non-academic organisation can be enshrined.

In establishing our own domain name, a problem we have considered is how easily website domains can be registered to mimic our own and thus draw our members to unauthorised websites potentially containing inaccurate, misleading or even illegal information.  The registration of the dot.union domain and the appropriate distribution of such domains to registered trade unions would help guarantee, to some extent, that workers seeking the official sites of unions will not inadvertantly surf into unauthorised sites.

Finally, it is moves like this one that will make the information currently available on the Internet far more reliable.  One thing I was taught when I studied research methods on the Internet was not to necessarily "trust" what appeared on the screen, even if the URL seemed quite official.  The dot.union category will go some way toward ensuring that our navigation of the Internet, at least when it comes to industrial representation, is a lot less fraught!

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy