Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ
||Fri, November 3, 2000 at 7:21 AM GMT (Thu, November 2, 2000 at 11:21 PM PST)
||Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
||Unlikely to solve underlying issues.
I am amazed how you actually think this is really going to be effective.
Even if you actually agreed with the DotKid, Inc.'s opinion's on what your kids should
see I still see that the whole idea of using a 'kid' friendly TLD to help parents
raise their kids is flawed.|
If parents were to give their kids only
access to these sites it would limit there intellectual development because they
would see a very narrow view of the world. Even though the rules are not 'global'
in that they would supposedly have local standard Dotkids is still going to have
their own global standards of what type of content they are going to allow.
What is going to result is your going have children who are going to be very naive
about the world because they have seen such a narrow view of things.
Another problem that any such system has is adjusting to the age of the children.
There is no debate that what a child should be allowed to see should be based upon
their maturity level and with a TLD your going to be setting standards for the entire
system. A web site provided information about safe sexual practices would be
appropriate for a 16 year old but probably wouldn't be something you would want your
6 year seeing. There is no way that a global system like a 'kid friendly' TLD
can adjust accordingly.
Another major flaw in the reasonig for a
.kids TLD is the suggestion on the part of it's supporters that it would allow parent
to let their children roam free on the .kids TLD. This is flawed because in
order for a child to properly develop they need to have some form of guidance from
their parents on what is socially acceptable behavior. A parent who doesn't
do this will raise a child who doesn't think their parents care and will grow up
accordingly with values that accept most vices as being acceptable. If parents
are having enough trouble keeping tabs on their children now, how can we expect parent
to keep their kids on .kids.
Any one thinks that an effective rating
system can be created would probably be surprised how difficutl that would be.
Since DotKids, Inc. only real income is going to be from registration it is unlikely
they are going to have a great deal of money to pay someone to evaluate the .kids
site that have been registered. If DotKids, Inc. isn't going to be able to
frequently check up on their registrants compliance what is going to stop them from
just posting some kiddie porn? Their materials would end up stay on the internet
until someone reported them which might weeks or even months if they kept a low profile.
After they would get finally get found there is nothing preventing someone from just
posting the material different server and moving on. In addition to the lack
of standards on what a good rating system should have it quickly becomes apparent
that it is unlikely DotKids, Inc. will be able to create a good system where other
When it comes down to any .kids proposal is flawed in that
doesn't help our kids. The only thing this proposal will accomplish is make
DotKids, Inc. rich off of our kids! Don't support DotKids application!
- .kids Application by DotKids, Inc. Moderator, October 7 @ 10:18 PM (20/27)
- DotKids, Inc. providing Industry Friendly solution that promotes competition DKI, November 6 @ 12:00 AM (0/0)
- DotKids, Inc. Statement on Freedom of Expression, Filters, and Censorship DKI, November 5 @ 10:37 PM (0/0)
- DotKids, Inc. Statement - How Our Unrestricted .kids gTLD Works DKI, November 5 @ 10:20 PM (0/0)
- Good step in the right direction S. Crowther, November 3 @ 3:56 PM (0/0)
- Teachers Need This!!! ahowell, November 2 @ 8:01 PM (0/0)
- dotkids great vittony, November 1 @ 6:55 PM (0/0)
- What a wonderful idea quiktan, November 1 @ 12:45 AM (1/2)
- Unlikely to solve underlying issues. ipguy, November 3 @ 7:21 AM (1/1)
- Support for DotKids AJS, October 30 @ 3:37 PM (0/0)
- I support DotKids concept C.Mann, October 29 @ 12:55 AM (0/0)
- No Substance - No Experience - Porn Star Endorsement ??? Neo, October 27 @ 10:13 PM (0/0)
- Another Vote for DOTKIDS DLD, October 27 @ 1:10 PM (0/0)
- .kids tld - general observations john.carr, October 27 @ 9:02 AM (0/0)
- Use of my name in the application...I am not working with this group! Parry Aftab, October 23 @ 4:52 AM (1/1)
- Proposition to ICANN, Applicants & Internet Community Pistoff, October 18 @ 6:14 PM (1/1)
- IT'S ABOUT OUR KIDS ! ! ! AdvantaTel, October 18 @ 12:43 AM (0/0)
- This is revolutionary hedeer, October 17 @ 2:14 PM (2/2)
- Very Interesting slassre, October 16 @ 10:10 PM (0/0)
- .KIDS TLD Application Should Be Denied - details inside... ron10000, October 14 @ 5:22 PM (1/1)
- A "YES" Vote For This One! AdvantaTel, October 14 @ 12:32 AM (0/0)
- It could be the solution for Kids Carlos, October 13 @ 6:35 PM (0/0)