Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Dom
Date/Time: Thu, October 26, 2000 at 8:28 AM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.72 using XWindows/Linux 2.2.17 (Pentium Pro)
Score: 5
Subject: Sounds great, but what about user and community control ?

The .i application and general policy statement sound really great, especially the provision for free individual registrations. There are many countries throughout the world where a yearly fee of even $10 is too much of a financial burden for individuals.

However, in case this application passes, Sarnoff will be able to register names for nearly any purpose. Given that Sarnoff's published plans include allowing the namespace to grow as needed (and without ever doing any sort of delegation), Sarnoff could become THE one monopolistic registry instance growing out of any form of control. Sarnoff, or whoever controls them, cannot be allowed to become ICANN in place of ICANN.

One possible solution to this problem is to also create a .j TLD :-) and give it to another registry. But competition between businesses does not solve all problems, so I would prefer Sarnoff to take firm steps in setting up a democratic decision process (such as, for example, agree with ICANN to set up an independent, democratic driving commitee).

Sorry for my weird english !

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy