Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: kcrash
Date/Time: Mon, October 23, 2000 at 7:08 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: INFINITE/UNIVERSAL TLDs: Something to think about...  uTLDs !!!

Dear people of earth,

For a TRUE "Internet for the People", you would think that we (from the consumer standpoint) should be able to choose to register a domain name in any TLD that we create ourselves, not from a finite multiple choice set of TLDs chosen by the few.  Open discussion, bottom-up approach, and an "internet consensus" are good intentions,
but the question remains:  WHY MUST WE CHOOSE FROM A FINITE POOL OF TLD (STRINGS)?

I have been watching Name.Space for 1-2 years now, and have always wondered why they don't just let the people (ie, consumers, their
customers/clients/registrants) create TLDs on the fly for themselves at time of registration?  Why must one chose from a tiny selection of 500+ TLDs? :)  What if I want my last name as a TLD and my first as the SLD?  It would not be hard at all to type it in, pay (if it's a for-profit service), and have my name (john.smith) created and universally resolvable.  If ".smith" doesn't exist in the root zone file as a TLD, then it would be instantly added.  Not every word/string in the world would have to be a pre-existing TLD entry in the root zone, but TLD strings would only be added on-demand, on an as-requested (as-registered) basis.  So then, John's sister Jane comes along and registers her name, Jane.Smith, and boom, she gets her full, universally resolvable domain name too!

Why must TLDs be approved, authorized & added manually to the root zone server (and cost tens of thousands of dollars per TLD just to be "considered")?  It can be an AUTOMATED PROCESS, as currently exists with the accredited, competitor registrars system known as SRS(hmm, doesn't that sound odd? "accredited, competitor registrars".  Haha! "Hey, you have been accredited to be one of our competitors, good luck!"  Something wrong with that picture).  But anyway, in my proposal, note that no ONE REGISTRAR would "own" any ONE TLD.  They would all be available for everybody, but would be registered through an accredited registrar due to technical constraints, protocols, etc, of the Internet DNS.  With the worlds of bandwidth, memory capacity, and CPU speeds constantly increasing, I see no problem in this being the end solution which this whole DNS issue resolves/evolves toward.
The whole fear of "disruption" to the Internet is unfounded nowadays.
This implementation is possible.  Take off your strangle hold and let
the people truly have their Internet!!

How hard could this be?
I could start this type of registry business tomorrow,
but would ICANN, NSI, et al, approve?  Why or why not?
Wlll it cost me $50,000 * (the # of words in the English dictionary)
or $50,000*Infinity to apply for unlimited TLDs?

Give the Internet to the People!
Allow Universal TLDs!
I adopt the new term "uTLD".
What do you think?
Sounds good! :)

ICANN et al (per the request of President Clinton and DoC)
should grant all registrars the ability to add TLDs to the
root zone server via automated software process, in real-time,
when the registrars' clients (their registrants) choose or purchase
domain names in existing, or in many cases non-existing, TLDs.
There would be no need for the registrars to modify or delete TLDs
in the root zone server, especially since it will be shared access
by all the registrars.  The registrants (ie, domain name holders)
will have to go through these accredited registrars (just like they
do today!) in order to register or modify a domain name.  But instead of choosing whatever they want for just the SLD, they get to do the
same for the TLD!  None, or atleast very few, of the TLDs would be reserved of restricted.  Registering "John.Smith" would add ".Smith" TLD to the root zone (if it didn't already exist), and John.Smith would be reserved for that domain holder; however the ".Smith" TLD itself would be an open TLD for others to register under as well, such as "Jane.Smith".  The TLD ".Smith" won't be reserved by John, but rather created/added by John to the root zone, since he was the first to demand that TLD.  He owns "John.Smith" but not ".Smith".

What is wrong with this model?
Am I missing something?
Is my DNS naivety showing?
It's late, I need sleep, or I'm just nuts.
Someone give me money, or a job, let's get started!

yours,
Kernel Crash

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy