Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: ALLDNS
Date/Time: Thu, October 26, 2000 at 8:15 AM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.74 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: ICANN is not a Government entity

Is it right that I should feel that I should not comment any further here because ICANN is still reviewing the ALLDNS Accreditation Application? The fact is, regardless of my comments here, we all must follow ICANN policy.  We all should assist, promote and work together with ICANN because right now, ICANN is all we have here for the good of the DNS.

I can understand what you have stated in regard to your question concerning do I really want the FCC to control ICANN.

I do not believe that the FCC would control ICANN, however, I believe in administrative due process and proposed rule making processes and those principles.

I do not believe that the FCC would control ICANN.  ICANN is not a Government entity, ICANN is a non-profit company.  The FCC may take over the responsibility of overseeing administrative due process and proposed rule making processes and enforcement as it relates to the proper formulation of rules, standards, guidelines and enforcement of DNS policy.

There appears to be no administrative due process for the formulation of rules, standards, guidelines or for the enforcement of any DNS policy under ICANN, whereas, the US Government, the US Department of Commerce, the US has empowered ICANN with the responsibility of TLD Registry licensing in which only a few applicants will be selected through a process which includes no administrative due process.

Only a few applicants will be selected to represent a New TLD Registry and because of this, I wonder how ICANN policy in approving a TLD Registry can be considered fair with no due process, guidelines or standards to ensure fairness in its decision making process.

I proposed the FCC as a regulatory option in light of allegations in this Forum challenging the integrity of ICANN and its policy.

Derek A. Conant
General MAnager of ALLDNS   

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy