Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: ipguy
Date/Time: Fri, November 3, 2000 at 12:38 AM GMT (Thu, November 2, 2000 at 4:38 PM PST)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Let's hope the ICANN doesn't approve too many of these!

From Day one I have been disturbed at how this process has worked out.  The idea that Namespace could have so much control over the internet is extremely disturbing.  Today any website without their own domain is also destined for failure.  If most of the TLDs are controlled by big companies that can determine what registrar's they will work and what content can be on their sites I feel that we are going to see the internet as medium become a place where only people with a lot of money and influence can have their voice heard.  Fortunatly, the ICANN isn't handing over .com, .net, and .org to a company at least not yet.  If most of the TLDs have any restrictions on content some viewpoints are going to not be seen on the internet and that is a sad thing because the internet has always been a great place to express your opinion and have anyone across the globe to be able read your opinions. 
  The one hope I have is that the ICANN tries to ensure that the TLDs they do approve are as inclusive as possible. 

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy