Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ
||Tue, October 31, 2000 at 9:07 PM GMT
||Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows NT
||Power Of The ENUM Standard
I've enjoyed learning about the implementation differences between ".tel" and "e164.arpa"
in the emerging Internet-Telephony directory space. One issues I've found particularly
interesting is that both the Pulver/Peek/Marschel ".tel" TLD application and the
"e164.arpa" implementation are based on the same IETF technical standard, namely
ENUM. The power of a common technical standard in this situation is enormous.
Since both implementations are based on the same standard, technology vendors can
build and deploy ENUM compliant IP-Communications systems which will allow customers
to select the TLD implementation (".tel" or "e164.arpa") that best meets their needs
without requiring an underlying technology change. |
The adoption of the ENUM
standard in this case is an absolute requirement for creating effective competition.
Imagine what would happen if the two solutions did not both adhere to the same standard.
Vendors would be forced to build two version of the same product to enable competition
to work. From my experience in working with equipment vendors this simply would
not happen. Vendors can't afford the complexity associated with supporting
two different technical solutions.
Competition will work to everyone's
benefit in this case (vendors, customers and end-users) thanks to the adoption of
the common ENUM technical standard
Henri de Perignon
- .tel Application by Pulver, Peek, and Marschel Moderator, October 7 @ 10:06 PM (15/24)
- Let's go forward MSisson, November 6 @ 12:04 AM (0/0)
- Pulver does not need .tel hta, November 4 @ 11:01 PM (1/1)
- Support for Netnumber application travelocity, November 4 @ 5:08 PM (0/0)
- ITU, IETF, ICANN, ENUM, "e164.arpa" and ".tel" NetNumber, November 4 @ 3:44 PM (1/1)
- Lucent Representative Nominated To ITAB Board ITAB, November 3 @ 7:24 PM (0/0)
- After reading all three proposals R.Jackson, November 1 @ 10:56 PM (1/1)
- .tel application bboston, October 31 @ 10:13 PM (0/0)
- Power Of The ENUM Standard perignon, October 31 @ 9:07 PM (1/1)
- Support for ".tel" TLD dischang, October 26 @ 9:27 PM (0/0)
- 3Com Internet-Telephony Executive nominated to ITAB Board ITAB, October 26 @ 4:57 PM (0/0)
- Competition At Risk NetNumber, October 25 @ 5:38 PM (2/4)
- Please take the opportunity to act -- not just talk gkrucik, October 25 @ 3:02 AM (0/0)
- The competition is here if you look marshm, October 24 @ 5:54 PM (0/0)
- ENUM + ICANN-granted E.164 policy control + trademark rights Judith Oppenheimer, October 20 @ 12:44 AM (1/1)
- Proposition to ICANN, Applicants & Internet Community Pistoff, October 18 @ 6:39 PM (0/0)