Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ
||Sat, November 4, 2000 at 5:08 PM GMT
||Netscape Communicator V4.7 using Windows 95
||Support for Netnumber application
Travelocity.com is the
leading on-line travel site and as such an active member of the Internet community.
NetNumber has developed and released the "Global Internet-Telephony Directory"
(GITD) over the past year. In addition, the Internet Engineering Task Force
launched a working group called ENUM to define a technical standard for
telephone numbers to Internet addresses. NetNumber's GITD is an
directory service that translates telephone numbers into
Internet address information
in support of all types of IP-Communications
services. (i.e.: Telephone
Number to: SIP address, SMTP address, SMS
address, VPIM address, etc.)
come to our attention on October 2nd, NetNumber filed an application with the Internet
Corporation for Assigned Names & Numbers (ICANN) to define the GITD as a new Internet
Top-Level Domain (TLD), called ".tel". The NetNumber ".tel" application was
made in conjunction with Pulver.com (www.pulver.com) and with the
Addressing Board (www.i-tab.org).
The underlying need for GITD services can be
summarized as follows:
ˇ There are over 1.2 billion legacy telephone numbers
in the world today and
the number is growing.
ˇ An enormous global investment
has been made in training end-users all over
the world to use standard legacy
telephone numbers to place calls, send
faxes, leave voicemail messages, etc.
ˇUnfortunately, IP networks like the Internet, corporate intranets, and
extranets don't work off of telephone number addressing. Instead, IP
work off of IP addressing, SMTP addressing, URL's and other
The GITD will provide a smooth migration
of legacy telephone numbers over
to the new world of Internet protocol networks.
The smooth transition
enabled by the ".tel" TLD is the ability to link telephone
Internet addresses for IP-enabled communications devices so that end-users
continue to use telephone numbers as a common addressing mechanism for
and Internet services.
As Travelocity's CEO, I believe.that the approval the NetNumber.com
and Pulver.com application, the Peek/Pulver/Marschel application, for the .tel TLD
would help bring competition by insuring market access by subscribers to the registration
of telephone numbers for IP telephony. Market competition and open public
review are critically important.
I am therefore recommending that you approve
Terrell B. Jones
President and CEO
- .tel Application by Pulver, Peek, and Marschel Moderator, October 7 @ 10:06 PM (15/24)
- Let's go forward MSisson, November 6 @ 12:04 AM (0/0)
- Pulver does not need .tel hta, November 4 @ 11:01 PM (1/1)
- Support for Netnumber application travelocity, November 4 @ 5:08 PM (0/0)
- ITU, IETF, ICANN, ENUM, "e164.arpa" and ".tel" NetNumber, November 4 @ 3:44 PM (1/1)
- Lucent Representative Nominated To ITAB Board ITAB, November 3 @ 7:24 PM (0/0)
- After reading all three proposals R.Jackson, November 1 @ 10:56 PM (1/1)
- .tel application bboston, October 31 @ 10:13 PM (0/0)
- Power Of The ENUM Standard perignon, October 31 @ 9:07 PM (1/1)
- Support for ".tel" TLD dischang, October 26 @ 9:27 PM (0/0)
- 3Com Internet-Telephony Executive nominated to ITAB Board ITAB, October 26 @ 4:57 PM (0/0)
- Competition At Risk NetNumber, October 25 @ 5:38 PM (2/4)
- Please take the opportunity to act -- not just talk gkrucik, October 25 @ 3:02 AM (0/0)
- The competition is here if you look marshm, October 24 @ 5:54 PM (0/0)
- ENUM + ICANN-granted E.164 policy control + trademark rights Judith Oppenheimer, October 20 @ 12:44 AM (1/1)
- Proposition to ICANN, Applicants & Internet Community Pistoff, October 18 @ 6:39 PM (0/0)