Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: jandl
Date/Time: Tue, October 17, 2000 at 1:27 AM GMT (Mon, October 16, 2000 at 9:27 PM EDT)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Understanding a SOHO

>"Anyone running a corner shop or petgrooming business could qualify for this. $40,000 in expenditures in a year means you pay yourself and hire one low paid person. i.e. you are a business. Documentation will be kept entirely private as stated in application and will be very minimal."<

It is apparant that you are unaware that many SOHO's have no employees and start up with less than $2,000 in expenses and pay no salaries at all.  That's called a sole proprietorship.  It  could be a start up in a garage or a bedroom or living room with an old PC and some software.  Some may not even have a computer and simply have a friend host a webpage for them just to have a web presence in the local area.  Many secretarial services started that way.  Mine did - with a memory typewriter in the living room.  I did not start full time.  I had a "job" and started evenings from home.

Were it not for being able to obtain a domain name, I might never have succeeded, bought my first computer or learned HTML.

That type of business gets started every day.  Your policies would preclude it.

If ICANN is not going to recognize the ORSC, TINC, PacificRoot, Superroot or other root systems' TLD's, at least let them choose an applicant who will not exclude small business and micro start ups.  So far, it is not encouraging.

As for my vested interest, the .BIZ registry is active and will remain so.  It is no secret.

"The only people that will not qualify will be speculators - and that's it. "

Also its dishonest of you not to state your vested interest when posting this type of criticism.

Phil Berent
Affinity Internet TLD Management Group

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy