Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: hedeer
Date/Time: Sat, October 21, 2000 at 12:15 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: a few questions, ICM & NSI

ICM,

While I disagree with brahim's methods I think he brings up a few relevant points.  Your proposal I think is definetly well thought out and your business model is well presented.  I think the difficulties arise for most people when they realize you'll be going with NSI.  Plain and simple, NSI has had a monopoly for too long, regardless of how long they've been "established players" in the industry.  The whole point of new TLD's is to diversify.  I think it's been mentioned before but have you considered simply dropping the proposal for .KIDS?  If you simply had a .XXX proposal and decided to team up with another company that had .KIDS it would probably be a lot easier for people to swallow what you're giving them. 

Also, in your proposal:

"They[the parents] will be able to screen most adult-oriented sites as filtering software/ browsers and search engines are enhanced to incorporate the new TLD. "    

"Under the financial structure set forth in ICM Registry's business plan $6.00 per year per domain will be set aside for the creation of a non-profit .KIDS TLD. If ICANN rejects ICM REGISTRY Registry’s effort to operate or financially sponsor a .KIDS registry (or related green space), then ICM REGISTRY Registry will donate the money ear marked for these efforts to an acceptable non-profit organization. In the alternative, the money can be set-aside in a trust fund until a future non-profit organization is established."

Why are you doing that?  It's quite a generous gesture to donate $6.00 to the creation of a non-proift .KIDS TLD but why wouldn't you simply agree to working in colaboration with another company that would be able to manage the .KIDS TLD?  It seems a bit selfish to want both .XXX and .KIDS, esepcially when you've decided to have both under NSI.

"This will enable filtering software to be much more reliable as all sites with a XXX TLD could be automatically filtered. "

Again, this is only a question.  Have you created a model that would transport the existing adult-oriented sites over to your .XXX over some period of time?

"Will be able to procure software that provides more filtering capability "

Have you started any collaborations with a third party group to develop this software?

"ICM Registry strongly believes that the .XXX TLD is the strongest potential candidate on both issues[succesful both a financial and broad consumer support], because of the high degree of adult content Internet traffic. "

I agree with this wholeheartedly.  Your application demonstrates very thoroughly your ability to handle the .XXX TLD.  I'm quite impressed with how much you've thought it through.

"The following organizations represent the most vocal representatives in the consensus building process:

Child safety advocacy groups 
The civil libertarians 
Democracy advocacy groups
The adult content industry
"

Can you name a few of the groups you're working with?  I'm simply curious.

"For this reason, .XXX will propose to operate .KIDS on a non-profit basis in order to provide a means of making the Internet a safe environment for children’s entertainment and education. "

I hate to be a cynic, but it seems you've given far too much attention to the .XXX TLD and not enough to the .KIDS TLD.  Under this plan, all your revenue comes from the .XXX TLD and in simplest terms what would motivate an efficient .KIDS TLD if not a profit?  And how do you plan to subsidze the .KIDS TLD?  I don't think the $6 donation per .XXX site is enough of a donation.  Doesn't this in some way limit the growth of the .KIDS TLD?  Wouldn't it again make more sense to leave the actual managment, subsidization, and basically whole game plan of the .KIDS TLD to another company which would then work in cooperation with you to provide a safer internet community?

So to summarize, I like the .XXX TLD.  I really think you've brought up a very telling point with concern to adult industry and internet content.  I don't think .KIDS and .XXX can work together the way you've planned to manage both, especially having NSI as a not so reputable registar.  I like the auctioning system you've developed and the effort you've put into protecting intellectual rights, basically I like your Registructure system.  My advice to you would be to let go of the .KIDS, hold on to .XXX.  Your proposal as is can really very easily be accepted as a .XXX proposal and I think ultimately should be.

Sincerely,
Hedeer El-Showk

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy