Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: MarkF
Date/Time: Mon, October 23, 2000 at 7:22 PM GMT (Mon, October 23, 2000 at 11:22 AM PST)
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.7 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Let's see how serious ICANN is about online safety for kids...

I am a father of 4 children 8 years old & under & intend to use the internet to help raise, educate, inform, etc. these children. As such, I have a keen interest in the outcome of ICANN's decision regarding this proposal. It seems to me that this' the only *real* option of the four ".kids" proposals for providing online safety for kids because it is the only one to have closed registration. The key points to this proposal seem to be:

1. Anyone can still put up whatever they want on another domain name. (Hence calls of this proposal being "anti-free speech" are ignorant or deceitful.)

2. The domain name ".kids" is reserved for sites who WILLINGLY comply with the standards set forth virually guaranteeing the safety of those sites for children worldwide.

For me, and it seems to me the VAST majority of parents, would be relieved to have such a solution to use to train their children on using the internet. I for one whole-heartedly support this proposal and look forward to seeing how serious ICANN is about online safety for kids, since the other proposals with open registration CANNOT, even under the best of circumstances, approach this one as to true "safety" for kids on the internet.

Sincerely,

MarkF

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy