Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Karen Zimbelman
Date/Time: Fri, October 13, 2000 at 10:16 PM GMT (Fri, October 13, 2000 at 3:16 PM PDT)
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.73 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: .co-op TLD

Co-ops and their members strongly support the designation of a registered TLD, .co-op. 

It's appropriate to create a separate TLD for cooperatives because:
+ Co-ops are a unique form of business -- governed by and embracing international principles that date back over 150 years.
+ Neither the .com, .org nor other existing TLD categories are truly appropriate for use by co-ops.
+ Thousands of co-op businesses will find it appealing to use a .co-op TLD, expanding capacity for other groups under the .com, .org, or other appropriate TLDs.
+ A registered TLD, with screening to ensure that groups truly operate as cooperatives, is appropriate to the co-op form of business and desirable to the cooperative community.
+ A .co-op designation will help Internet users (consumers or businesses) locate co-ops on the web for potential e-commerce relationships.
+ On the Internet, the domain suffix is one of the few reliable indicators of the type of organization one is visiting and having a .co-op TLD will make it possible for all Internet users to identify the cooperatives from other organizations.

Finally, the proposal by the NCBA and Poptel, endorsed by the International Co-operative Alliance, will establish a "digital divide" fund that will help co-ops with limited resources establish an Internet presence. 

Establishing a .co-op TLD is a great idea -- to expand Internet capacity as well as for the cooperative business community.  I urge your support of this application.

-- Karen Zimbelman

NOTE:  I'll include links to the web pages of two groups that I work with that maintain an Internet presence:

+ CGIN:  Cooperative Grocers' Information Network -- see also www.cgin.org/links.html for a listing of the web pages hosted by co-ops that are CGIN members

+ NWCGA:  Northwest Cooperative Grocers' Association -- a regional association of cooperative food retailers

Link: Cooperative Grocers' Information Network

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy