Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: CFCBrad
Date/Time: Tue, October 24, 2000 at 7:42 AM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.7 using Macintosh PowerPC
Score: 5
Subject: Co-op domain

I write in support of the Cooperative League/Poptel proposal for a .co-op domain. I can think of no better suited domain suffix than the existing .gov, .edu, and the proposed .co-op. The Cooperative economic model exists in nearly every country on earth. Nearly a billion people worldwide are cooperative members.

Cooperatives have a well defined and globally excepted cooperative designation, making the task of screening applicants considerably easier than most.

Cooperatives are particularly well suited to the concept of the globally equalizing effects of the internet. Not only are cooperatives found in great number in all hemispheres of the planet, they also are commited to mutual support. A .co-op suffix would become widely used the world over, and serve to further the causes of self determination, self reliance, and community building, which are foundations of the cooperative movement.

After working for more than twenty years in the fields of cooperative retailing, cooperative housing, and cooperative education I can attest to the readiness of the cooperative movement to embrace a move on the part of ICANN to create the .co-op suffix.

Thank you for your consideration of this important matter,

Brad Smith
Community Food Co-op

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy