Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: ville
Date/Time: Tue, October 17, 2000 at 9:30 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows NT 5.0
Score: 5
Subject: Matter of fairness

Pilot - the question is rather whether they *are* his property. I agree, few hundred names probably doesn't affect world commerce in the least but as a matter of principle, I don't think it's fair (to the rest of the world) to open a registry that few people know of and then let those few to pick out the pearls. I probably would've personally registered one or two .web-domains that are currently owned by Marc. Maybe he would've registered 80% of the names he now owns once .WEB TLD went online, but at least then he would've been starting from the same line with the rest of the web-users.

Besides, IOD has always let the users understand on their site that the registrations to their .WEB TLD are tentative only, and that the "fees are non-refundable", implying that even in the case of IOD's WEB TLD registry never going online:

"The money collected for registrations is helping to pay for our infrastructure for the registry. Every .WEB(tm) domain registered is support for the expansion of the Internet domain name system and is greatly appreciated. As such, there will not be refunds."

Marc surely knew this, too.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy