Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: cambler
Date/Time: Thu, October 19, 2000 at 4:48 AM GMT (Wed, October 18, 2000 at 9:48 PM PDT)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Yup...

This is ripe, too. Yes, the court disagreed with us and did not give us the restraining order we wanted. And maybe we might even not have won the case.

But, in your lack of context, you're missing two important points:

1. the case was dropped a week later because the U.S. Government, after reading the case, decided that we were, indeed, correct, and put a stop to the IAHC process. The court had no need to go further, as the U.S. Government stopped it.

Let's look at what the judge said:

>And the disruption to the Internet -- to the -- and the
>potential destabilization and disruption to the Internet so far
>outweighs the potential harm that there is harm to the Plaintiff

I'm sorry? What disruption? Had you bothered to read the WHOLE case, you would have seen that the IAHC lawyers convinced the judge that they were the technical control of the Internet, and had we prevailed that day, that the Internet would have come to a halt. Literally.

2. the case never touched upon whether IANA gave IOD permission to go live: just whether there was a contract to enter us into the roots, or whether the IAHC plan was anticompetitive. The judge didn't think so - that's his job. But the merits at hand TODAY were never decided. What was decided that day is now moot, as the IAHC plan was never enacted.

Indeed, except for CORE supporters, I suspect most people would say that this lawsuit accomplished its goal: stopping the IAHC plan.

You do yourself a disservice, sir, by posting these out-of-context issues, in a general forum where they are clearly off-topic, and, at best, are irrelevant. More likely, however, you support Image Online Design's case.

I do hope you continue, actually. You're proving the point that we've been involved since day-one.

Christopher Ambler

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy