Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: San Luis Valley R.E.C.
Date/Time: Thu, October 26, 2000 at 10:53 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows NT
Score: 5
Subject: Supporting new domain name ".co-op"

On behalf of the 9,000 members of San Luis Valley Rural Electric Cooperative, Inc., I am writing to urge the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) to approve the proposal for a .co-op top level domain.  The National Cooperative Business Association (NCBA)and Poptel are proposing .co-op with the full endorsement of the International Alliance.

We are a rural cooperative with 2500 miles of line, around 9,000 members, and we provide electricity to the rural areas in 14 counties.

As a rural, consumer-owned electric cooperative, San Luis Valley Rural Electric Cooperative, Inc. works hard to provide our members with the best services possible.  And we follow the International Cooperative Alliance cooperative principles, such as member ownership and control.  That makes our job more challenging than investor-owned business, but it has also earned us the trust of the people we serve.

As consumers become increasingly cynical about the constant ebb and blow of new and defunt e-businesses, it's critical that cooperative business have an opportunity to identify themsevles to consumers and others who perfer to do business with us.  While many cooperatives use .com and .org, neither accurately characterizes co-ops to Internet users.  Consumers need a way to find the businesses they trust on the Internet.  The.co-op TLD will help do that.

Though my cooperative provides electricity service to predominantly rural consumers, co-ops operate in virtually all industries, in 100 countries, and in both rural and urban areas; there are 750,000 cooperatives worldwide with 725 million members.  As a result, the .co-op TLD will aply to a broad range of businesses across the globe.

I urge you to move quickly to approve .co-op.

Sincerely,

John R. Villyard,
CEO

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy