Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: CrossFire
Date/Time: Tue, October 24, 2000 at 4:57 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: As I Promised-Question For Chris Ambler

Chris,

Before I begin with my questions, please note the section I copied from IOD's website onto this message shown below.  My questions follow this insert.

Registration Dispute Policies

Revision 2.0

29 September, 2000

Registration of a domain name does not confer a legal right to register, renew, transfer or otherwise use that domain name.

Image Online Design does not investigate potential conflicts and makes no warranty as to the legal right of a registrant to a domain name. The registrant bears the full responsibility for establishing their legal right to a domain name.

If you believe that a domain name registrant is using a .Web domain name in a manner that infringes upon, dilutes or otherwise harms any of your rights, you should contact the registrant directly. Image Online Design provides registrant contact information at our WHOIS web site. Registrant contact information may be obtained by sending a written request either by e-mail or United States mail. Requests for information should include the following information:

I. The .Web domain name in dispute;
II. The nature of the dispute; and
III. The name, address and telephone number of an authorized contact person for the party asserting the dispute. 

Image Online Design has adopted the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy, established and adopted by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers on October 24, 1999. Additional details are available at the following URLs:

IV. Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy.
V. Rules for Using the Policy. 
VI. Dispute Providers.

The first thing that catches my eye is "Revision 2.0" along with the date of this policy which is September 29, 2000.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this date correlate with the date of the letter issued by Ken Stubbs, Chairman of the Names Council within DNSO (amongst many other questionable roles) regarding pre-registered domain names?  Is there a connection between the two?  Sorry for the pointed questions, but better to have it presented in a civil manner by an IOD Supporter than to be asked in a misleading manner by an opponent of IOD.

I also have a question with regards to the first paragraph.  Can you explain to me, in layman's terms, what this paragraph says?

Finally, please add any other comments that may help clarify my understanding of the insert shown above.  Please note that I do understand that the insert states clearly to the outside world that IOD has every intention to run an honorable registry while tending to the interests of those parties that may have had, or might have in the future, their tradmarks violated by questionable domain names(please correct me on this last comment if I'm wrong).  As such, I'm now looking for any insight above, and beyond, this understanding which you may be able to confer to me, the public, and the rest of the IOD Supporters.

Please note that the intent of my questions is not to attack IOD, rather it is a sign of respect to IOD by posting them on this bulletin board way in advance of the October 27 deadline (if this is the deadline).  If Afilias plans to attack IOD on these points, I'd rather we take the wind out of the sails and put them to IOD ourselves.  This is also part of the self-regulatory process that I believe adds crediblity to ourselves and IOD.

In closing, please tell me if my questions are out of line, or if the manner in which I've posted them is out of line.  Thank You!

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy