Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: mayor
Date/Time: Wed, November 1, 2000 at 6:14 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows NT 5.0
Score: 5
Subject: The internet should be a utility

As far as I'm concerned, the internet is a public utility and margins should go down to a basic return on investment for any company that wants to work in the utility space.
That said, price should be minimal, as with any public utility.  The CEO of Cisco says a phone call will cost zero within five years.  The same should be true for internet usage, which includes domain name assignments as well as online access.  Margins for registries should be thin, ensuring a low price for retail domain name sales.

Any company on this list that thinks there should be an $XYZ hundred-odd dollar fee for a domain name registration is missing the whole point of this process.

The dot-whatever Consortiums, which seem oddly similar and strike me as being written by the same author, seem to get the point with their proffered price point of $3.50, and that gives me some reassurance.

I hope ICANN doesn't postpone the inevitable and decides to drive this whole scenario where it is already ordained to end up: in cheap, widespread access- not in some company's coffers who managed to insert itself between user and cyberspace.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy