Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Ryan4
Date/Time: Fri, October 20, 2000 at 6:15 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: .WEB Registry

Isn’t the whole idea about having new TLDs to bring more available names for people and small businesses?. Don’t we want to give average people the opportunity to get a decent domain name so they can have a better chance at succeeding on the web?. If Afilias.com gets the .web registry, this will NOT happen. Large companies that exist now will be able to take ALL the decent domain names before the average person is even allowed to register one! during the “sunrise period”. Giving the .web to Afilias.com will not help the problem of “running out of names”. If Aflias.com gets the registry, ICANN will be moving backwards in what they apparently want, more competition. Afilias.com is a combination of the top existing registrars and this will only make the Network Solutions monopoly even bigger then now/before. I highly believe that ICANN should give the .web registry to IOD Webtld.com because they can open up new opportunities for people like myself. The pre-registrations SHOULD be allowed. There are thousands of people like myself who took the gamble at pre-registering a .web at IOD because I wanted the opportunity to get a decent name so I could create an business on the internet without having a name that wouldn’t make sense. IOD webtld.com has proven to the world that they are capable of providing a great registry. IOD was given permission by IANA to bring the .web registry alive in 1996. IOD has been spending lots of money and time to make their registry better. This is sort of one reason why I pre-registered with them. IOD has spent so much time and money to bring the .web registry to the world (about 5 years, maybe even longer), you would wonder how ICANN could even think about not giving them the .web registry to them.

Ryan

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy