Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Unexplored, Inc.
Date/Time: Sat, October 14, 2000 at 1:11 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: IODESIGN'S .Web Registration

I am Chairman, Chief Executive Officer and co-founder of Unexplored Inc., a Delaware corporation.  I am writing to urge approval of a new .Web global top level domain (gtld) and acceptance of ioDesign’s domain registrations into the root server.

By way of background, Unexplored has over Thirty Million Dollars ($30,000,000.00) in market capitalization and offices in California, Vermont, and London.   Unexplored is a web-based travel and adventure company.

Unexplored owns the domain names “Safari.net” and “Safarinet.Net.”  “Safari.Com” is not available for sale.  Additionally, Unexplored has submitted federal trademark registrations for the trademarks “SAFARINET” and “SAFARI.NET”.   I am hopeful that the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (the “PTO”) will eventually grant Unexplored registration for these trademarks, and that Unexplored will benefit from future “sunrise” provisions to register its famous marks.  However, it is unlikely that the PTO will decide whether or not to grant these trademarks for at least 6 months.  In other words, Unexplored’s recognition as the holder of a famous trademark probably will not happen in time to benefit from any “sunrise” period pre-registrations. 

Unexplored has invested considerable thought and energy into developing its SAFARINET brand of web-based travel services, and we are eager to obtain domain names which help promote the business.

To this end, Unexplored has registered the domain names “Safari.Web” and “Safarinet.Web” through ioDesign.  We believe that these would be excellent, consumer-friendly domain names which would have the following benefits: 

(1) These domain names are catchy.  As a web-based company, .web is an especially effective gtld.  Also, a domain like “Safari.Biz” is not easily brandable;

(2) The domains are easy to remember;

(3) The domains convey an image – consumers all over the world know what “web” means.  Indeed, even people who speak virtually no English are familiar with phrase “the web”;

(4) The domain would not be confused with names such as “Safari.Com”, as the two domain names look and sound different and convey different images; and

(5) Unlike other potential gtld’s like “.store”, these domains are short (3 letter gtld designation), and thus easier to read and to type.  Shorter gtld’s are also easier to advertise because they allow larger font in the same size ad and fewer letters (hence less cost) in a standard-sized classified ad.

In short, .web is an excellent choice for a new gtld, and Unexplored urges that ICANN approve that generic non-restricted gtld.

Because of my experience in paying many thousands of dollars to purchase .net and .org domain names for Unexplored, I am very pleased to have learned about ioDesign’s registration services.   Once .web is approved, I do not want to spend additional large sums to purchase the “safari.web” and “safarinet.web” names. 

If ioDesign’s registrations are not honored, then the likelihood of beating the competition to register “safari.web”, and perhaps even “safarinet.web”, are slim.  Unexplored’s foresight in registering these domains early should be rewarded by being able to keep our branded domains.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

J.P. Thieriot
  Chief Executive Officer
  Unexplored, Inc.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy