Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: sduncan
Date/Time: Sat, October 14, 2000 at 5:04 PM GMT (Sat, October 14, 2000 at 1:04 PM EDT)
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.7 using Windows NT
Score: 5
Subject: Application by Image Online Design

I registered a .web domain with IOD over two years ago.  At that time, many people had already registered .web domains and there was a perception then that IOD would be approved THEN to handle the new domain.  Some people have commented that 20,000 over 5 years isn't much volume but I would argue that most of those were actually registed quite a long time ago and at that time they didn't have a problem handling the volume.  I would also argue that putting more money into infrastructure when no decision has been made as to whether they can carry on this business, doesn't make sense from a business perscpective.

We registered the name ottawa.web over two years ago and finally ended up registering ottawaweb.com because we just could wait any longer on the decision.  That doesn't mean we no longer want the .web domain.  I would also be quite upset if now, because of politics, the registry is handed over to another party and we lose our option on the domain of our choice.

At the very least, multiple firms should be able to handle the new TLDs so that there isn't a monopoly and the 20,000 people who have registered with Image Online Design should have their domains pre-registered before it is opened up to new applications.

From what I understand, IOD had been given approval on this years ago before ICANN was officially formed.  This should be taken into consideration

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy