Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: cambler
Date/Time: Sun, October 15, 2000 at 8:01 AM GMT (Sun, October 15, 2000 at 1:01 AM PDT)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Registrars

To quickly address one of your points, BrianC, the reason that our application gives a period of time before which we will use ICANN registrars is simply because we expect that there will need to be a time in which the RRP system is tested (this is a system that we are developing ourselves). This is explained in our application, by the way. We expect to have a "testbed" period just like NSI did with .com, and we based our application on a similar timeframe.

The reason was not, as you suggest, to enjoy monopolistic operation of the registry (although some would argue that NSI had that, with .com, for some time before being mandated to take registrars - that is not our intention).

Additionally, please examine our application again, as I believe you are under a misconception - every registrar does NOT have to charge $35. Our projections were based on a $15 cost at the registry, and that our registrar would charge $35. Other registrars are welcome to charge whatever they wish - it is not mandated.

I'm glad I could clear these issues up for you.

Christopher Ambler
CTO, Image Online Design, Inc.
The .Web Internet Domain Registry

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy