Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Gregory W. Krajewski
Date/Time: Thu, October 26, 2000 at 4:27 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: TO ICANN board members, staff, and applicants.........WHERE ARE YOU????

I realize this is a public comment board, but to be honest, without being able to ask questions and get a response (from either the applicants or ICANN Board members themselves) this process will be severely hampered (and I am assuming we have this public comment board because OUR opinion matters, right??  Question:  How will we know??)..The problem I see without feedback is it creates more misunderstanding, less openness, etc...Chris Ambler from IOD has been on here several times to answer questions (that is refreshing) and has cleared up some of the unanswered questions, from supporters and detractors in a very professional manner...

...So far the only applicants that have come on this board--visibly(that I have seen) is IOD (.web) and Diebold (.cash)  I see lots of posts on the .co-op,  and .travel postings--not sure if the applicants there have posted responses) .....My point is, if people from Germany or England, Saudi Arabia or from where ever, want to ask a question (and get a response before the upcoming ICANN meeting), how will they be able to do this if they can't make it to the meeting?? Or myself...I will not be able to make it Marina del Ray, California (I wish I could--I could just see my rear window on my Camaro, "Marina del Ray or BUST--GO IOD"...

It seems logical that the applicants and board members should be asked questions before the ICANN meeting (this will clear up misunderstandings...A FAQ page with the complexities before us doesn't do it..It's nice, but...)  If questions are answered beforehand, then your meetings in Marina del Ray could be more effective with regards to coming up with solutions for uploading some of the TLD's and applicants who submitted them (unless it's a done deal) We have no idea, until a question is raised and answered in the same forum...It's called open dialogue...

One question I would like to ask (would someone care to answer):

QUESTION: Why do we not have a "Individual Constituency Board member on DNSO??? (this speaks to the heart of a very problematic situation on the DNSO board..What is their perceived power over ICANN?? (yes, I have read their job description that they make suggestions, but...) So far, everything they say, ICANN has paraphrased or quoted...Prove me wrong, but that is the way I am calling it...ICANN has the "contract" not the DNSO board with respect to ensuring the stability of the DNS...They can help, but paraphrasing what they say does not show independence from this group...Of which I have yet to see a "conflict of interest policy on their website"....So if they are going to have that perceived kind of power, the individual should be represented?? Am I right or wrong here???--Having a person who represents initial domain name owners should not be too much to ask)...I realize your answer to this would be one to show NTIA that you are in fact independent...but the record shows otherwise...(just my observation and I could be wrong, but the only way to put this to rest would be to answer the question, right after this post...again open dialogue)

NEXT QUESTION:  This next question would be to Affilias and Neustar..."I support IOD and have been for a long time..(I have posted on this board any self interests in this process for all to see)....Why do you feel that you deserve DOT WEB, when you in fact know that some people have invested time and energy into this process??? I know on the surface that may sound like a simpleton -no-brainer question, but is it... Do these companies who basically own Dot Com, have the right in these young stages of the internet to completely monopolize the system--Changing the name to Affilias and Neustar are old tricks, to some very old eyes.....Think about that...What is right with that..to have the most powerful, TLD Dot Com (right now at least) and pile on the one (dot web) that will overtake it..They (NSI and Register) may own only 10% of Affilias (and I am not sure what Melbourne IT has invested in Neustar), but any profits they do make, will be paid for on the back of IOD and it's supporters!!! which is why everything points back to IOD...competition, competition, competition...Brings faith to the system, which creates STABILITY...(If anyone can prove IOD's registry (application) is unfit for Dot Web, speak now...see link below)..

If I think of what MR Ambler and the IOD team have gone through to get to this point, and play fair, I don't think many of us could say we could have done it"....The is a reason, more than the dot web domain, that we support IOD...if no one sees that then we are at a crossroads...we truly are....by the way "What is wrong with defending something you "built"?

Do you see my point (to applicants; ICANN)...

I know you (ICANN) will probably set up a webcasting link and a posting board for the Marina del Ray meetings- (which by the way is in your contract from NTIA) and also the 2nd comment board for commenting on your review of the applications...but that is not good enough if there is no feedback (how do we know, you know, what we know, kind of thing)

...ICANN you state sometimes that you are short of funds...(webcasting is expensive and necessary to ensure openness, but isn't this board a cheap solution (right now)and FAIR with respect to be able to ask questions and get a response?????  Especially from people who can't make it...I realize that you (ICANN staff) are busy with the applications, however can't you name a rep, that could write in on your behalf??....or applicants, specifically Afilias and Neustar...Are you TOO big, that you don't feel that we are worth the time of day (that is not a naive question either...that is a honest question) And saying us Dot Web Supporter would be disrespectful to you is a cop out......(You wonder why dot coms are failing---Wait till the dot webs comes on board--we shall give them a run for their money with respect to customer service)...

Again, what impact do our comments on this board have ??? If this is a truly open forum...You have only heard our side...What about yours?? Frankly without feedback (prior to Marina del Ray) lots of people from around the world will have to hope, someone who attends the meetings will ask the question (directly to the board) that they may wanted to have asked???  Please thing about that...

I for one have lots of questions...Where I find myself turning to will be the Dept of Commerce and NTIA (they haven't cut the strings yet!)...For anyone interested in getting involved in an "non-spam" "personal" email campaign to NTIA, please write me....I think our voice will be heard...either way...IOD supporters have spoken loudly here...Many congressmen and women have been written on behalf of IOD...Journalists are getting our correspondence and lastly, yes, NTIA will hopefully hear what we have to say about IOD and dot web...

Are you with me??  If you are not, you probably said, "He did not read any of the FAQ page, or anything we have on our website?"  If you said that, you need to read my post again...It's not about when the applications will be seen, or our response to what you say about the applications...It's about answering our questions directly...The information you offer is more procedural...I pose "why not?" and "What if?" questions, which needs a response...That is the burden you face ICANN, one that your charged with...ensuring this is an open process...if it seen as such...then people usually don't complain...Just an observation...a response directly to questions would be nice and a good start...On our part we need to respect the process, and let you do your job, however without any response we continue to send you email....If it were answered you would cut down on the misunderstandings and repeated questions sent to you...

Thanks...

Gregory W. Krajewski
Dot Web/IOD Supporter
gkrajews@mato.com

Link: IOD's applicatiion, "On it's merits alone"

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy