Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: anthony
Date/Time: Mon, October 16, 2000 at 1:32 AM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.73 using Windows 95
Score: 5
Subject: Just LOOK at this place! (3 main issues)

What a mess!

Is this what was intended all along?

There is so much debate clouding the issues here that its hard to see what we're even discussing.

As far as I can make out there are three main issues:

1. .web and whether IOD should be allowed to activate their 20,000 regestrations.

2. Afilias and an ever increasing list of suspicions about the activity of the company.

3. ICANN and an ever increasing list of suspicions aout its integrity and impartiality.

There are also discussions that overlap these three topics such as the Ken Stubbs issue.

That seems to be how the whole thing is getting muddled.

At the end of the day, most people seem happy to let Afilias form a huge monopoly so long as they let IOD go. The two issues are, however, quite separate and I wonder if Afilias applied for .web only so that they could get .info and still look like they lost.

Surely they would otherwise have been declined on account of it being damaging for the interests of competition (.com, .info, .site, .web and also .biz and .nom via other applications). I don't know how much if any of the .net and .org TLDs they control?

Whats more:

People only post here if they have an interest in doing so.

For the IOD supporters its clear. They have a chance to own a web site thats half decenet - or their first choice where as this privilage is usually beyond the reach of the average web goer.

Whats in it for the Afilias crowd though?        

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy