Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: julie
Date/Time: Fri, October 20, 2000 at 4:13 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Useless

I have to agree with those who say that the topics of DOT.WEB, Afilias, & Ken Stubs have dominated this Forum to the extent of rendering it useless. To those attempting to provide a solution to the situation I applaud you. For those who feel the need to rehash the same old arguments,Your point has been made.

I have to place the blame for this sad state of affairs at the feet of ICANN. There have been 47 applications presented to ICANN by groups who put up $50,000 apiece.($2,350,000 Non Refundable Dollars). And what do they get for thier $50,000? A bulletin Board! And the Bulletin Board is on a web site which 95% of the internet population has never heard of!

So far I have only had a chance to read, but not Digest 5 of the 47 submissions. I hope to read them all before deciding what is best for the Global Internet Community. But despite my intentions I have already Posted two messages in opposition of 1 applicant (I did read both of thier applications first). And the reason for this is the manner in which this public airing process has been formatted. We have no idea when a decision will be made nor do we know when the deadline for public comment will end. Thus we feel the need to make a point right away. Even though we don't know the full story.

I hope ICANN will realize the mistake it has made and come up with a way to involve a greater percentage of the internet community and give people the time to read and discuss each applicants proposal. Whether you like , dislike ; agree or disagree with one of the applicants it would be to everyones benefit to read the proposals. These are some smart people with some revolutionary ideas and there is something to be learned from each and every one of them.

Finally, I'm still trying to figure out why they decided that the NEW TLDs would be awarded/GIVEN to Private for Profit Companies. For the winners $50,000 for the rights to an entire TLD? That's the same amount that the Losers have to pay! If I remember correctly,Tuvula is to get $50 Million for the rights to DOT.TV. Is something wrong with this picture?

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy