Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: keith246
Date/Time: Tue, October 17, 2000 at 10:48 PM GMT (Tue, October 17, 2000 at 4:48 PM CST)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: two-for-one deals on domain names will do nothing to cure the name shortage

We agree.

This exercise is going to make a whole pile of money for those accepted as registrars and their cohorts, and it is going to do little else.

I make a point very similar to yours in my posting, "Unrestricted gTLDs will waste the resource and solve nothing".

If there is any effective competition brought about by all of this, it will simply reduce prices. 

Two-for-one deals on domain names, offered by .web and .biz trying to lure clients from .com, will do nothing to end the domain name shortage.

The domain name shortage will remain.

A few gTLDs will be allocated now, it will be years before more are allocated.  In the meanwhile, fortunes will be amassed for little effort.

This is seen as the ICANN get-rich-quick scheme.

I don't see why ICANN even asks about business or technical experience. 

Those applicants looking to hand out names for money on a first-come-first-served basis need no experience in anything.  Making money will be so simple.   They will hand out the any names to anyone with some automated system, transfer ownership with an automated system, and let any and all disputes be handled externally at the expense of others.

If things proceed as I expect they will, it will likely justify judicial intervention.  (I trust the ICANN directors have directors insurance.)

But perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised.

- Keith

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy