Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: CrossFire
Date/Time: Mon, October 23, 2000 at 6:00 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Article Touching On Lawsuit Involving NSI And Anti-Trust Matters

Provided below is a section of the article pertaining to NSI.  The article actually touches on several points, but I thought it was germaine to Afilias.  I realize that many other registrars are a part of Afilias, however, NSI will yield significant influence given its reputation and high-profile connections throughout the world.  Many of the registrars were not even on the map until Afilias was born (just recently I might add).  Anyway, please read the paragraph below.

Meanwhile, an Alabama businessman has filed suit against NSI claiming that the registrar's failure to reassign expired domain names constitutes antitrust, said Birmingham attorney Scott Powell, with the law firm Hare, Wynn, Newell & Newton. Powell said NSI by Nov. 6 is expected to respond to the suit filed by Stan Smith, of Birmingham. Smith and his lawyers claim that about between 1 million and 3 million expired domain names are being withheld by NSI.

For me, this article reaffirms my distrust towards NSI via Afilias.  ICANN should certainly consider this case and others when evaluating the Afilias' application.  I would be concerned about how much of NSI's corporate culture would influence that of Afilias.  So should ICANN.  What do you think?      

Link: Interest Article on Anti

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy