Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: If-I-can-why-can't-ICANN.
Date/Time: Tue, October 31, 2000 at 8:59 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: All applications should be returned.

Firstly let me state that my previous/other moniker on this board was/is cyber-cynic, but I felt this one might help get the message across, besides it has a nice ring to it.

What does it mean? Just what it says.

Why should all applications be dismissed? - No it's not the fault of the applicants, that's another issue mind you, the problem actually lies with ICANN and more specifically ICANN's wag the dog policy.

ICANN's by-laws permits it to set policy in relation to domain names (and they should). However, when I read the format of the applications it always asks the question of the applicant "how will you do this, and how will you do that, and how much will you charge?".

In other words the applicant is determining policy - but why I ask does the tail wag the dog? I can see that, can you? can ICANN?

Should ICANN not be stipulating the procedures and requirements plus setting limits (after all that is largely why they were set up), and then requesting applicant's to show proof that they and their systems meet the minimum requirements - Of course, we can see that but can ICANN?

So what are we going to end up with - NSI x 44...?

Well I guess one can't be too hard on ICANN they don't have the resources or the will it seems - so why put them in charge?

Never send a boy to do a man's job!

I can see that! Can you? Can ICANN?

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy