Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: markusbaccus
Date/Time: Tue, October 17, 2000 at 10:28 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 95
Score: 5
Subject: rebuttal

"Say, if FCC was adding new frequencies to the available public frequencies, there would most likely be an auction where all interested parties would have a chance to participate."

Like the 150 Billion dollar giveaway via the 1996 Telecom Act?  Most people, such as yourself, have never heard of it.  Just another example of how Government is immune to the crassness of the marketplace.

"After all, many *really good* .COM names have been in existence since early 90's, registered by individuals and organizations who had the foresight back then to do so. Of course, back then *anyone* could've done the same - they'd just visited InterNIC's web-site. In 1997 few people knew about the possibility of pre-registering WEB TLDs, even if they wanted to do so."

The .com's became sparse when "everyone" knew about ".com".  For the six years before that, most people didn't know about InterNic, but many of us still were able to find it if we wanted to register a name.

"*shurg* maybe one could call it "being in the right place in the right time". I just find it resentful."

You sound resentful that you didn't get any.

"Domains should be registered for a purpose other than selling them at outrageous cost, and picking up hundreds of names that would generally be considered "good" can only have such goal."

First, Why "should" they?  Maybe we *should* feed the hungry.  Maybe I *should* give my money away to people who never earned it.  (Oh- yea, I already do via 40% taxation for all those government programs I never use.)  Maybe we *shouldn't* listen to those who would presume to tell us what *our* property is for.

Secondly, If the costs of these domains were truly outrageous, they would not sell.  Surprise, most of them don't.  Just look at all the loser domains on AfterNic or GreatDomains who can't even get a $1000 dollar bid.

"I've got the names (from .com) that I need, so I don't really care which way it goes, other than for the principle."

What happened to the principle that using your wits to make an honest buck is an honorable profession?

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy