Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: ville
Date/Time: Tue, October 17, 2000 at 9:16 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows NT 5.0
Score: 5
Subject: WEBhogging

I find it questionable that the existing .web registrations should be validated by ICANN when/if the .web TLD becomes active. The primary reason being that when the .web registrations began at IOD several years ago, unless you were digging the web for alternative domain registrations (which, of course, were not in public use at that time yet as they're still not in public use), there was no way to know that it was possible to pre-register such domain. Thus, those few who did know were able to pick the cream of the crop. When you go to IOD's .web search page, sure there are _more_ free domains available than in .com or .net TLDs, for instnace, but huge number of "better" names are gone. I think this is unfair. I think in a global community such as the Internet the registrations for new TLDs should go online at a well-publicized time, and only after the TLD is ready for actual launch. Then, it would be first-come-first-serve.

Frankly, even though it might pose technical difficulties (?), I would love to see totally open TLD registration system. Maybe it would cost $5,000 to start a new TLD (money would go to the net infrastructure management), but there would not be limits as to how many TLDs could be registered. Why not? Just as the domain registrations, TLD registrations could also be first-come-first-serve (except for intellectual property infringements, which could be handled in the same fashion as are the cases for, say, .com TLD).

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy