Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: zzmars
Date/Time: Tue, October 17, 2000 at 5:05 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows NT 5.0
Score: 5
Subject: I agree that IOD should control .WEB, but I have one problem...

I certainly agree that IODesign, Inc. should control the .web registry.  They received the "formal blessing" from IANA and have invested time and resources into the company. 

However, I had not even heard of IODesign, Inc. before this debate, and I am quite sure that millions of others hadn't either.  In effect, only a small handful of people knew that IODesign, Inc. even existed prior to the recent TLD application submission.  In contrast, Network Solutions (Internic) was widely visible as the registry of the .com, .net and .org TLDs when it was formally assigned that responsibility.  What I am trying to say is that everyone had an equal opportunity to register secondary domains within the .com, .net and .org name systems.  It truly operated on a First Come, First Serve basis.

Even though IANA initially gave IOD its "official blessing," it did not make the .WEB registry active.  IOD, at that point, should have suspended pre-registration until such a time could be made that all disputes with IANA (or ICANN, now) had been resolved.  Most ccTLDs that are in dispute for some reason or another, .tm is a perfect example, suspend their registration practice.  This ensures that nobody is unfairly punished as a result of the dispute.

In addition, there was very little or no formal announcement that IOD began taking pre-registrations in 1996.  Whereas Network Solutions was widely visible as the "official registrar" of .com, .net and .org, IOD was not visible at all.  Ask even the most avid of internet and technology users and they will tell you they have never heard of .web and IODesign, Inc., at least before this debacle.

On the same note, the U.S. Courts have ruled that secondary domain names are not legally considered property, so rulings by a competent governing board, ICANN or the U.S. federal government, can affect registration, deletion and transferral of secondary domain names.

I have a comprehensive solution to the "pre-registration" problem in my previous submission.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy