Subject: .co-op support

Mike Roberts
President and CEO
Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers
4676 Admiralty Way
Suite 330
Marina del Rey, CA  90292

Dear Mr. Roberts,

On behalf of the 59 member companies of Independent Distributors Cooperative–USA, I am writing to urge the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) to approve the proposal for a .co-op top-level domain.  The National Cooperative Business Association (NCBA) and Poptel are proposing .co-op with the full endorsement of the International Cooperative Alliance.

Independent Distributors Cooperative–USA is a purchasing cooperative of bearing, power transmission and related industry product distributors.  The cooperative is comprised of 59 member companies with 154 locations in 38 states.

As a cooperative, Independent Distributors Cooperative–USA is committed to providing our members with the best products and services that we can.  And we follow the International Cooperative Alliance cooperative principles, such as member ownership and control.  That makes our job more challenging than investor-owned businesses, but it has also earned us the trust of the people we serve.

Consumer mistrust of e-business is growing.  It’s critical that cooperative businesses have an opportunity to identify themselves to consumers and others who prefer to do business with us.  While many cooperatives use .com and .org, neither accurately characterizes co-ops to Internet users.  Consumers need a way to find the businesses they trust on the Internet.  The .co-op TLD will help do that.

Though my cooperative operates in the industrial distribution arena, co-ops operate in virtually all industries, in 100 countries, and in both rural and urban areas; there are 750,000 cooperatives worldwide with 725 million members.  As a result, the .co-op TLD will apply to a broad range of the businesses across the globe.

I urge you to move quickly to approve .co-op.

Sincerely,

Jack L. Bailey
President & CEO

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy